Monday, January 18

London has a Roman Amphitheater: a tour of Guildhall Art Gallery

The more I complete off of this 101 Free Things to do in London list, the more glad I am to have found it. There are so many things to do in London once you cross off all the popular sights! And better yet, I'm realizing how easy it would be to tailor a trip to any set of interests. Get off the beaten path!

I hadn't heard of the Guildhall Art Gallery, despite its rather royal ties (the Queen has her own bathroom off the main hall) and ancient history hidden in the basement. It showed up twice on the 101 List: my challenges (which I chose to accept) were to see a Rossetti painting and the ancient Roman amphitheater.

I happened to visit on a Saturday, when the gallery offers a few free introductory tours of the space. Suuuuuper handy as I wouldn't have realized the Rossetti painting is within ten steps of top of the main hall staircase. The guide also told the group why the painting is significant, and pointed out mistakes and factoids about it. I always feel I gain a lot from a tour, and the fact that it's free is a nice bonus.

Anyway, here's the Rossetti that I would have otherwise missed!


We also saw a property deed signed by Shakespeare, as well as one of the original copies of his complete printed works. 



Finally, the tour ended in the middle of what was once the Roman amphitheater in the city of Londinium, circa 70 A.D. I had no idea this even existed (and I'm a geek about ancient history)! The foundations of the main walls are still there, but the structure had long been demolished and covered by a couple thousand years of dirt and new buildings.





The story goes, when the city of London started excavations to rebuild to gallery in the early 90s, archaeologists realized they were literally in the center of the amphitheater, which they'd been trying to find for decades. So, because of its historical significance, the gallery had to completely scratch the original blueprints, and figure out a way to build around the ancient structure. So, in essence, there is a one-story slice of ancient earth preserved between the new floors of the Guildhall Art Gallery. They carved around it, even preserving the gravel and dirt! You can walk where gladiators and emperors entered the archway, and see how the Romans engineered underground water pumps to keep the ground from getting too swampy. Crazy!

A final neat touch is in the square out front of the gallery: the black stone line in this photo traces the outline of the original amphitheater. An homage to the structure and the history. I love stuff like that.




Also, this painting of Clytemnestra is intense! She just murdered Agamemnon and looks like she's ready to jump off the canvas to give stitches to snitches, so don't tell her I told you!


"Best cure for a headache? Decapitation." 

3 comments:

  1. Best caption ever with the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I thought hard for just the right one!

      Delete
    2. Femme Fierce!
      Great tour, Helen! Keep 'em coming!

      Delete