Monday, January 25

Latin America: Looking back to plan ahead

I did something big and exciting today!

From the outside, it looked like I sat on my couch for four hours. But on the screen, over the internets, I threw my hat in the ring to be a blogger for LATAM Airlines. The prize includes flights to South America plus a monthly stipend, for up to 12 weeks! I do need your vote though, so click on that link!

To be honest, I had resolved to leave South America on my mental back burner until our lives moved us back to the Western Hemisphere. Flights would be cheaper and I could focus on conquering -- er, traveling around -- Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, wherever the discount flights can get me while we're here. But this crazy opportunity stirred up all of my nostalgia and wanderlust like a brisk breeze through a pile of autumn leaves.

I loved (loved LOVED) Ecuador, for so many reasons. It was my first big trip traveling completamente sola, everyone I met was welcoming and kind, and I grew a lot as a young person. Plus the vistas were breathtaking, the city was historic, the dancing easy and free, and the friends were genuine. So, even if I had hated Ecuador, I would always have had a soft spot for it.








But now, I'm looking forward: what's next? Where to go?

I can't help but salivate at the possibility of going to Rapa Nui (Easter Island). I have been fascinated with the island and those statues ever since I heard the Easter Island song by Throat Culture on Prairie Home Companion in fourth grade. I learned more about it at the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo in December, since the guy responsible for Kon-Tiki also spent a lot of time researching, excavating and re-staging theories on Rapa Nui.


And I want to go to Buenos Aires. For no reason other than I hear about it so often as the Paris of South America. And it turns out they have a relatively extensive network of bike lanes. And I could take a tango class and try the steak. I hear it's a specialty.


And I want to see Machu Picchu. Because Machu Picchu.


And I want to find all the teeniest tiniest places in between. Where are the Kansas Cities of South America? And which way is the beach? And how high is that mountain? And what time does the art museum close? And where can I find a bike rental shop? Or a really good cafe?

All those things. I want to know all those things.

And let's be real, three months will probably just leave me wanting more. But I'll want to get back to snuggle that guy I married (who is Amazing and Supportive and absolutely on board with this) and I'll probably want to wear something different after all that time, too.

So here's hoping. And don't forget to vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment