Saturday, June 9

If the veggie looks like a starch, is it still a veggie? (Veggies #6.6)

The veggie - Cauliflower.

I've never had a really strong opinion either way about cauliflower. Not after I figured out it was nothing like broccoli. But it also doesn't jump to my mind when I think vegetable, either.

The starch - Potato.

I don't really care for potatoes. It's a texture thing. If they're in chip or french fry form, I can tolerate them. And once in college they were so cheesy-creamy-delicious that I forgot they were potatoes. But yeah, not really a fan.

The magic - Steaming & blending.

My rice w/ steamer is a) adorable and b) super handy!

Blend, blend, blend, blend...



I steamed about half a head of cauliflower until it was good and mushy, then threw it in the food processor until it was like a pulp.

Then I added a little butter and Parmesan cheese (not much!) and put it on a plate and it's just like mashed potatoes! Except without the grainy starchy-ness of potatoes! AND there's even a little nutrition to the cauliflower, where as potatoes are pretty much all carbs.

Ta-daaa! We ate ours with a plate of fried fish & okra. But if it's a vegetable, it's good for you... right?
If there's a vegetable on the plate, it can't be bad for you.

Next on the cauliflower front, from my friend Jessica:
Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment