Tuesday, November 3

Missing Kansas City

I'm rather proud of the fact that, other than the expected-but-occasional waves of nostalgia, I haven't had much homesickness.

But then.

Then the Royals WON THE WORLD SERIES and my city erupted in cheers and whistles and fireworks and Facebook status updates with shared images ... while I was sleeping at 5am.


And THEN.

Then the first streetcar in nearly 59 years arrived, settling in just two blocks from my loft in downtown KC. The streetcar that will run on all of the rail which caused all of the construction that I've been walking and biking over for the last 18 months. (Following photo credit @angraor on Instagram.)

A photo posted by Amanda Graor (@angraor) on

So now my FOMO kicks into high gear and I'm left pondering what I really miss about my hometown. So, here's my list, which I'm sure will change over time:

Things I kinda miss:
  • Familiar bike routes.
  • Knowing where to go without consulting Google Maps
  • Autonomy that comes with owning a car (NOTE: I do NOT miss driving. Just being on my own schedule.)
  • Feeling like I can afford ALL THE THINGS
  • Coworkers
  • Feeling of accomplishment knowing I at least went to work that day

Things I don't miss:

  • Working 
  • Sprawling intersections 
  • Driving anywhere farther than 5 miles 
  • Cops with guns (Here they don't carry them. I think they have tasers and batons, which can do some damage, too, but no guns. No guns pretty much anywhere. Not allowed.)
And then, there are...

The Things I REEEEALLY miss:
  • Celebrating Royals wins and KC pride (though I still wear my KC t-shirts all the time!)
  • Seeing a familiar face pretty much everywhere
  • Street tacos on demand
  • Fifi, my bike
  • My salary (okay, this is just me complaining...)
  • Being crazy involved in my neighborhood, city and interests
  • Knowing which friend I can call for a chat, which friend I can call to spontaneously hang out with, for coffee dates, for baby snuggles, for good advice, for the answer I should hear, for the answer I want to hear, for watching obscure sports, for participating in obscure sports, to be my last-minute symphony date, or for a good mimosa or three (or four) on Sunday.
  • Knowing where I can find a good mimosa or three (or four) on a Sunday
So, if you're in KC and you're celebrating (because you have PLENTY OF OPTIONS right now!!) raise a glass and send me a photo -- I'm with you in spirit!!


No comments:

Post a Comment