Monday, October 5

Up is Off (Acclimating: Part 3)

Things I'm already snobby about and have embraced:

Stand on the right. Walk on the left. 
  • Android/Google emojis
These emojis are DRUNK.

These are just ... surprisingly detailed.


Things I really thought I'd have the hang of by now:

  • Light switches: Up is off. Down is on. My whole world is upside-down.
  • Water taps are often separated hot/cold, and cold is on the left side of the sink. 
  • Lightbulbs.
  • Drivers in the front-right seat. I can handle cars on the left side of the road, but I startle a bit when it looks like they're driverless. 
  • The metric system. This is the first time I've seen a deciliter used outside of a math problem.
Things that are just... different:
  • Shopping small. Both at small stores and in small quantities. 
  • Seeing the word "whilst" being used instead of "while".
  • Social responsibility/shaming: our curbside recycling bags are clear "to tackle bad recycling". Oh, and also because if the rubbish collector sees something that can't be recycled, it will sit on your curb until the next trash day with a note about how you did it wrong. Tsk, tsk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment