Saturday, July 25

Getting rid of your stuff is liberating.

I almost wrote that I wish we had more time to purge our loft of all of our things, but that's not totally true. We've had seven years (three living together) to clean this stuff out of here, and we would never do it if it was an open-ended time frame. And if it were a longer time frame, we would've just waited until the last minute anyway.

We're procrastinators with a clutter problem.

Or maybe clutterers with a procrastination problem.

Either way, we have so much STUFF.

Have you read THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP by Marie Kondo? I checked it out from the local library, before it was cool, after I heard an interview with one of the translators on NPR. And in case that's not the most hipster thing you've read today, here's a pink hipster elephant:

So, all this purging is like her book coming to life in my house. One part of the method is to get all similar items in the same place, and then sort through them (you should read the book for how she teaches to be OK with getting rid of things). For example, today I learned we own seven different patterns of dish towels, and have several set of bed sheets that don't even fit our bed

Too many dish towels (and pot holders)!


TOSS 'EM! 

Er, I mean, gift them to your brother and sister!

Brothers, in case you don't have one of your own, are the bomb-diggity. Mine installed new lighting in our bathroom, which has been on our to-do list since Britton bought the loft. In 2008.



All of our furniture has been claimed (except a few pieces that we really like) and will go to new owners within the next week or so. I'm slowly cleaning out kitchen appliances and pots and pans. I'm starting to feel like I really will be successful in unearthing every bloody thing from this sodding flat. 

Also, Britton bought his first-ever one-way international plane ticket, and our visas arrived! We are official, ladies and gents!



No comments:

Post a Comment