Wednesday, November 9

Vegetables... yeeeeahh, about that...

I tend to eat my words when I speak in absolutes, but I'm not too worried whenever I talk about vegetables. I can only list four off of the top of my head that I will willingly eat:

1. Mushrooms

2. Corn

3. Tomatoes

4. Sweet Potatoes

And I just learned that corn is starting to be considered a starch. And tomatoes are technically a fruit. And mushrooms taste like whatever they're cooked with. So, I like sweet potatoes.

I'm fixin' to change that - one veggie at a time.* (*until I get to ten. Then I stop.)

My goal over the next few years (and especially in the winter months when fruits are way too expensive) is to learn how to cook 10 veggies in a way that is both healthy and delicious. This generally means I can no longer rely on my old faithful way of cooking them - covered in cheese or butter.

Now would be a great time for you all to leave links to or instructions for your favorite veggie delights.

Also, as a clerical note, this is taking the place of #6: Scuba Dive. More on that in a later post.

3 comments:

  1. Ok,
    Cauliflower, apples, onion. Olive oil, salt, and pepper. Slice the apples and onions thin. Coat all of it in a few drizzles of EVOO. Broil until the edges of the cauliflower are crispy and the apples and onions are soft. You will like this..and if you don't, invite me over, I'll eat it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try out some of those steamable frozen veggies. Green Giant makes some in boxes that are really tasty... and also not to big of a waste if you don't like it!

    How about bell peppers? Make some fajitas or stir-fry. Sugar snap peas (available in those nifty steamer packages) are tasty. Or roasted asparagus (don't waste your time trying the canned or frozen kinds, though- blech!). Grilled yellow squash is really mild and super yummy. Do you eat salads? Those count as veggies, too!

    I wasn't ever really a veggie fan until the past few years... I put on my big girl pants and tried some new things. I still can't stand broccoli, carrots, or iceberg lettuce, but I never thought I'd eat squash, sweet potatoes, or spinach!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Jess - that actually sounds really good... we'll see how the cauliflower works out. I might invite you over just cause we haven't seen each other in a loooong time!

    And Kelly - Good point with the salads & asparagus - I like both of those. I'll need to borrow your big girl pants for some of the others though. :)

    ReplyDelete